RANGER AGAINST WAR: Friend John <

Friday, February 26, 2010

Friend John


Because it's happened doesn't mean you've been discarded.
Pull up your head off the floor, come up screaming.

Cry out for everything you ever might have wanted

--In a Big Country
, Big Country

Out, out, brief candle! Life's but a walking shadow,

a poor player that struts and frets

his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more

--Macbeth
, V, v

All is ephemeral -- fame, and the famous as well

--Marcus Aurelius

______________

I was remiss not to commemorate the anniversary of the passing of my friend John ("Lurch") earlier this month.


John was special to me for many reasons. He was the first official friend to RAW, and was a helpful and enthusiastic cheerleader from the start. He became a friend and shared his generous spirit freely. I count it a precious thing when a hard guy opens up. He gave me advice I am still mining.

When culling the blogroll, I was saddened to see his blog, Main & Central, had been decommissioned. All that thought, no more. I mused upon the ephemerality of this place we sometimes inhabit, the blogworld. Then, upon our our own ephemerality.


John fell away just as he was about to re-enter life. I see a vinyl LP, and how if you don't place the needle in the groove, it may skip across the whole record.
Step on a crack, break your mother's back.

Godspeed, John.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

strange, i was thinking 'bout lurch just the other day...

Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 1:15:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

MB,

A wonderful person he was.

Funny, he didn't come to me when deleting M & C -- just out of the blue a few weeks later.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 1:51:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home