RANGER AGAINST WAR: The Fixer <

Monday, August 13, 2007

The Fixer



I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.
Good, we got one.
So I heard. May I come in?
Uh, yeah, please do
-- Pulp Fiction (1994)
______

Like the clean-up character The Fixer in Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction, Karl Rove was the alpha and zeta of the Bush administration's backroom happenings. He introduced a new term for twisted, under the table deals with (nearly) impeccable footprint sweeping: Rovian. And he's gonna be gone.

Reuters reports this morning he'll say farewell at the end of the month. "I've got to do this for the sake of my family," and I take that in a very Sopranos sort of way.

If the late great Ingmar Bergman were choreographing this on a chessboard, the boy-king has lost a very powerful piece, his boy genius. Rove is like the bishop-knight combination, as Cheney is the Queen.

If he had the quality of self-reflection, I imagine Rove to be thinking these words from Bergman's knight:

"I want to confess as best I can, but my heart is void. The void is a mirror. I see my face and feel loathing and horror. My indifference to men has shut me out. I live now in a world of ghosts, a prisoner in my dreams (The Seventh Seal.)"

Exeunt stage right. Mr. Rumsfeld, et. al., are waiting.


--Lisa

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home