RANGER AGAINST WAR: Whitewash <

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Whitewash

Where are your legs that used to run
When you went for to carry a gun

Indeed your dancing days are done

Oh Johnny, I hardly knew ye

--
Johnny I Hardly Knew Ye, Irish ballad
__________

The Warrior Transition Brigade is yet another ridiculous tack by the Army to patch a broken system. It is a supposed attempt to shepherd seriously wounded soldiers through the veterans health care maze with the help of a newly created brigade of 166 soldiers, which "became operational in June ('07)" (Combat Vets Lead Wounded Troops, VFW magazine, October '07).

It is "broken up into three companies of three platoons each. Platoons comprise three squads. The Army says it will become the model for all its medical treatment facilities." Why do I think
this is an absurd band aid? Let me count the ways--


[1] This is a phony press-oriented measure to deflect criticism from a system which is labyrinthine for even relatively healthy service members to navigate.


On a purely rhetorical basis, since when is a brigade manned by 166 soldiers? Counting the 700 wounded personnel assigned, this is a total of 866 warm bodies. Calling this figure a brigade is hyperbole targeted at civilians, who are being groomed to see the military as the fix to any problems facing our nation.


A good withdrawal tactic from Iraq would be to leave 866-man Brigades in Iraq and bring the rest of the troops home. If 866 man Brigades are good enough for the troops at Walter Reed, the it should also suffice for the Iraqis.



[2] "The
hope is that wounded soldiers will respond better to sergeants and officers, many of whom have combat experience." May as well throw a prayer in there, too. It looks like what should be based on good science has now become co-opted by faith-based rhetoric, as well.

These are broken soldiers, many of whom are predictably feeling betrayed, depressed, desperate. Most are facing a painful transition back into civilian life following protracted medical treatments. It is nonsensical to force them back into the very command structure which they are now being mustered out of. They are not part of a brigade, so don't phony one up.

This faux brigade is an insult to people in need of informed medical intervention.



[3] "Some [patients] are non-compliant, deliberately missing appointments, [brigade leader Col. Terrence McKendrick said]. "Some of that is based on despair of the condition they're in."


Of course their despair must be palpable, an
d that is exactly why MSWs and other professionals should be performing this function, rather than this phony "brigade". Soldiers of the combat arms are trained to kill, not heal. Using them as hospital admin types is gross mismanagement.

In an odd ending to the story, we are told the "brigade" is housed in a building named in honor of medic Cpl. Angelo Vaccaro, killed by an RPG in 2006, the first service member to earn two Silver Stars in the Phony War on Terror (PWOT ©).


"A Plaque next to Vaccaro Hall's entrance. . .describes his final moments." I suppose this was designed to alleviate flashbacks amongst the patients (?)

In a
Washington Post article on the brigade three months ago,
Army Maj. Lionel Walton, who has been treated at Walter Reed since January 2005, said "To me, it's cosmetic stuff." One soldier's mother called it "hogwash." It is definitely a whitewash.

What is most grating about this story is the inappropriateness of the response. When soldiers are so traumatically wounded that they are never to return to duty, start transitioning them immediately into their civilian life. Stop this absurd imposition of
the warrior tag upon a wounded soldier returning to his society.

Images of warrior may make the civilian population feel more impervious to threats, but
that label only further alienates these soldiers from a culture which has no place for the professional warrior, thereby keeping him in an isolated limbo land.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

i used to sing this song all through the halls of balboa naval hospital . . . helped to keep me a little bit sane. the guys at the pettis VA dig it too.

Sitting here in limbo
Well, I know it won't be long
Sitting here in limbo
Like a bird without a song.
And they keep putting up resistance
But I know that my faith will lead me on.

Sitting here in limbo
Waiting for the dice to roll.
Sitting here in limbo
Got some time to search my soul
And they keep putting up resistance
But I know that my faith will lead me on.

Well, I can't say where life will lead me
But I know where I've been
I don't know what life will show me
But I know what I've seen
Tried my hand at love & friendship
But now that's past & gone
This little boy is moving on

Sitting here in limbo
Waiting for the tide to flow
Well, I'm sitting here in limbo
Knowing that I have to go
Well, they keep putting up resistance
But I know that my faith will lead me on

I'm sitting in limbo
I'm sitting in limbo
I'm sitting in limbo
I'm sitting in limbo
Oh, limbo limbo limbo
Limbo, limbo, limbo

Well, they keep putting up resistance
But I know that my faith will lead me on

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 7:42:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MB,

I like this song very much, and it could not be more apropos.

Kind of like Otis Redding, but with impetus. There'll be a new day, for you.

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 at 8:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bless you both for this continuing effort.

As an aside, would like to hear thoughts on H. Clintons plan for the Wrld posted over on Sic Semper Tyrannis?

Friday, October 19, 2007 at 8:42:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Martin,

Good to hear from you. Hope all is well. (I actually ran into a Norwegian friend here in town the other day, and thought of you.)

As for Hillary, I see no problems in anything she's expressed in the piece you refer to. I am also printing my response below. Jim will read Col. Lang tomorrow:

"I agree with Martin K--I'd like to hear Hillary addresss the raft of civil rights abuses we have incurred under this administration.

"I also think Bill would be fabulous as some kind of goodwill ambassador. I also think he'd make a good secretary of state; surely better than the last two.

"I am also with old bogus:

"until we treat terrorists as criminals and combatants as combatants, we are going to continue to be mired in an ambiguous situation."

Friday, October 19, 2007 at 8:39:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Martin,

Jim sending: I try to remain apolitical.

I'm afraid I am cynical at the moment. I do not think that any of the candidates have any vision of America. They all are too wrapped up in phony rhetoric aimed at gaining power.

The people of American should be the key to demanding change, and they do not seem up to be up to the task.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 at 2:04:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home