RANGER AGAINST WAR: Extreme Makeover. . . <

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Extreme Makeover. . .

Milton Blayee (a.k.a. Gen. Butt Naked),
A man of new appetites?


Jesus loves me! This I know,

For the Bible tells me so

--Hymn, Anna B. Warner (1860)

__________

[Note: Sarcasm is a delicate art. I do not think Mr. Blaylee has the right to wear a minister's robes. I think this is a giant cop-out. If he wants to atone, let him work as Mother Teresa, with the downtrodden he once butchered. I think some of our readers, so good-hearted are they, misunderstood my intent.

Mr. Blayee has found the easy and clean way out. It is a road many unsavory men have taken. I would be equally displeased to see
George W. Bush get the calling after he leaves his current pursuits.]


Sometimes Ranger misses a story that merit a re-visitation.


Under the category, "You're not the only one,"


From 2/1/08
The Week magazine -- "Warlord Sorry for Slaughter":

"A brutal warlord known as Gen. Butt Naked apologized this week for leading his forces to kill 20,000 people during Liberia's civil war. The warlord, whose real name is Milton Blayee, got his nickname from his habit of racing into battle dressed only in boots, leading a similarly unclad gang of drug-addicted fighters. (We call our drug, "patriotism.")

"The Butt Naked Battalion was notorious for raiding villages, where they slaughtered the children and ate their hearts. Speaking to Liberia's Truth and Reconciliation Commission -- set up to air the atrocities of the 1989-2003 war but not empowered to charge anyone with crimes -- Blayee said he was sorry for his atrocities.

"'Every time I tell people about my story, I feel relived,'
he said. (Sounds like he's now getting high on Oprah-style self-purgation -- do they broadcast her over there?) Blayee now lives in Ghana, where he is a Christian minister." What a wondrous 100 yard conversion.

The lord loves a sinner. He could entitle his memoirs something like, "From Eater of, to Fisher for, Men's Hearts." I just know Oprah has a slot for reformed cannibals like him, somewhere next to sops like James Frey. He certainly cuts a better figure than Idi Amin, what with the Timberlands and all. I wish I could be this guy's agent.

I can hear President Bush's calling upon leaving office now. . .

_____________

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

one of the few later in life conversions i've ever witnessed happened to a producer i worked with in hollywood. peter literally woke up one morning a changed man. gone was they type-A hard charging jingle producer who would gut his mother with a dull knife if she were between him and another payday. he had dreamed about a better life. he sold everything he had, when to zambia and brick by brick built a boarding school for HIV/AIDS orphans. he scrabbles by, begging what money he can on his infrequent trips stateside. but, instead of trying to convert anybody he concentrates on being good, and doing good himself.

he's my kind of christian.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 5:54:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

MB,

I, too, have a friend recently retired who has devoted his life to creating micro-lending opportunities to seamstresses in Africa. He goes, he brings the sewing machines and fabric, etc. Before this, he worked in the vocational school system, where his life was also devoted to raising up good men and women in the process of teaching them carpentry.

His conversion came early on in life after a stint in the Merchant Marines, where he witnessed great privation in Africa. He came from a well-to-do SoCal family, and did not know what existed in the larger world before that.

He had to return a few years ago to battle cancer, but he seems to have beaten it back, and is back at the helm. He is not a Christian, but he is a man full of faith.

I think the Christians call men like him "Christian" as an honorarium.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 6:19:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger HopeSpringsATurtle said...

Thank you for the great post Lisa. And for the kindness you showed at my place. Such horrific stories really do remind that some people have real and I remember in my own personal grief of how much I have to be grateful for in spite of the turmoil I'm currently going through.

The abject horror so widespread in the world and our own country make it hard to look beyond one's own troubles. But I know how good it feels to help others in whatever way you can. The stories you and MB shared about ppl you know lightening the load of others is an excellent reminder . Thank you both.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger HopeSpringsATurtle said...

And thank you and Ranger for your great blog, I've added it to my blogroll.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 7:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thank you, Turtle. Perspective is all, and I sense the strength in you.

Best of luck.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 at 7:51:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes my cup of disgust runneth over; I then have to remind myself of acts of honest faith. It is difficult this week, however, what with George blathering on at prayer breakfasts and firing Admirals who don't want to go to war some more.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 10:50:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

labrys,

I feel like Diogenes right about now...

Thursday, March 13, 2008 at 12:37:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm too venal to be Diogenes, Lisa. I don't want to take a lamp and look for an honest man. I want a lamp with a big powerful GENIE inside---one I can sic' on the asshats miserabling up my world!

Friday, March 14, 2008 at 11:58:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

labrys,

I'm glad you are righteously angry. We all need to be. But you are also a "light unto the world."

You are doing well on both accounts, sister.

Friday, March 14, 2008 at 2:18:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

labrys,

I'm glad you are righteously angry. We all need to be. But you are also a "light unto the world."

You are doing well on both accounts, sister.

Friday, March 14, 2008 at 2:19:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home