RANGER AGAINST WAR: Limbo Land <

Monday, March 02, 2009

Limbo Land


With the thoughts you'll be thinkin'
you could be another Lincoln

If you only had a brain

--If I only Had a Brain
, Harburg/Arlen
_______________

Ranger was wrong.


Specifically, in the semantical matter of
detainees in the current hostilities. His position was that detainees were actually either Prisoners of War or criminals, who should be held and charged within the Federal Court system.

However, it is now apparent that most of these people are in fact
political prisoners, as they are being held not through any wartime or constitutional legality. "23 of the men have been declared in court not to be enemies of the United States," yet they live in a "strange limbo" behind barbed wire at Gitmo (For 20 at Guantánamo, Court Victories Fall Short.)

These people are neither enemy combatants nor illegal enemy combatants. Barring criminal status, that leaves only one possibility.


Following Secretary of State Clinton's signature on the Department of State's Report on Human Rights-- which tapped Communist China for its abuses -- the U.S. does look a bit hypocritical, especially considering the fact that exonerated men are still languishing in U.S. prisons.
President Obama must act quickly and order the release of these men. The rehabilitation of America requires this action.

These incarcerated men are very possibly enemies of the U.S., just not illegal enemy combatants; not executably so. No moreso than the average Pakistani walking the streets of Islamabad.


They will probably end up living in the U.S. and living well, because they were illegally imprisoned and tortured. (Torture is being illegally detained for seven years.) While a very real scenario, it is nothing to get excited about.


In World War II German and Italian troops were housed and utilized as day labor in the U.S., and many remained in the states, later becoming citizens. Many also returned to America after their repatriation.


What better statement could be made about the U.S. than the integration of former prisoner and enemies into our society? The Phony War on Terror (PWOT ©) has created such terror that governors are afraid to have al-Qaeda members incarcerated in facilities in their states. We are like the Tin and the Straw Man, with great fear stoked by little cogitation.


The U.S. can fight and kill them over there, yet are too afraid to even jail them here?


"In a news conference in Washington, Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. said that in a visit to Guantánamo on Monday he noted a “very conscious attempt” by guards to 'conduct themselves in an appropriate way'."

How does a guard comport himself in an "appropriate way" while illegally detaining prisoners? And you thought looking good while performing activities was just the purview of the Bush administration. Sounds good, though.

The continued incarceration of these prisoners in a criminal act. It is called
false imprisonment.

The entire PWOT was ill-conceived and executed. A good plan addresses these contingencies before their actuality, rather than as an afterthought.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya it's hypocritical but it only shows the extent to which we've been indoctrinated.

I think we should transfer all those prisoners to a prison in Crawford, Texas and see if the problem gets resolved.

Monday, March 2, 2009 at 11:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ranger,
I agree with you, but with a different result.

These men, who have been incarcerated, should be allowed to face their accusers in court, and be either convicted (which from the looks of it is highly unlikely) or vindicated (which comes with a certain amount of legal weight in terms of civil suits).
At issue is whether or not they were engaged in criminal activity, i.e. terrorism, or if you want a more subjective charge, the murder of non-combatants in the course of war.
If it turns out, yes, they are murderers, then justice is finally delivered, and the finality of their position in life is determined.
If however, it turns out they were some potato farmer who didn't pay his debts fast enough, or had a hot wife or daughter he wasn't willing to give up, and was summarily betrayed then his aquittable will carry weight in a civil action against the US government, and against individuals who were part of the "false imprisonment."
Notice I used false imprisonment...thats because the evidence, if weak and shady enough in a court of law, would highlight that a cursory examination of the accusations against the detainee didn't pass the stink test, and that the government was negligent in it's duties.
That negligence carries weight in a civil suit, especially with regards to false imprisonment.
In short, these men should have their day in court, regardless if they are guilty or innocent, and once and for all face their accusers and either be subject to the laws of the land...or...humiliate the accuser and their false accusations...and recieve recompense for their false imprisonment.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 11:27:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

sheerahkhan,
We're on the same page.
jim

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 11:37:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Ael said...

Alas, the problem is a practical one.

Let us say you are complicit in false imprisonment (however "good" your intentions were in the beginning). Do you let the prisoner go and face the music? Or, do you find excuses to keep him locked up and kick the can down the road till after you are retired?

It is no accident that most tin-pot dictatorships kill most of their torture victims (even if they victims were completely innocent - which no doubt happens a lot). They just can't afford to have people running about and complaining about the real injustices done to them.

At least we are not killing them and rattling them into unmarked mass graves (AFAIK).

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 2:37:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

Sitting here in Limbo
Waiting for the tide turn.
Yeah, now, sitting here in Limbo,
So many things I've got to learn.
Meanwhile, they're putting up a resistance,
But I know that my faith will lead me on.

Sitting here in Limbo
Waiting for the dice to roll.
Yeah, now, sitting here in Limbo,
Still got some time to search my soul.
Meanwhile, they're putting up a resistance,
But I know that my faith will lead me on.

I don't know where life will take me,
But I know where I have been.
I don't know what life will show me,
But I know what I have seen.
Tried my hand at love and friendship,
That is past and gone.
And now it's time to move along.

Sitting here in Limbo
Like a bird ain't got a song.
Yeah, I'm sitting here in Limbo
And I know it won't be long
'Til I make my getaway, now.
Meanwhile, they're putting up a resistance,
But I know that my faith will lead me on.

I don't know where life will take me,
But I know where I have been.
I don't know what life will show me,
But I know what I have seen.
Tried my hand at love and friendship,
That is past and gone.
And now it's time to move along.

Gonna lead me on now.
Meanwhile, they're putting up resistance,
But I know that my faith will lead me on.
Sitting in Limbo, Limbo, Limbo.
Sitting in Limbo, Limbo, Limbo.
Sitting in Limbo, Limbo, Limbo.
Meanwhile, they're putting up a resistance,
But I know that my faith will lead me on.


jimmy cliff

i think that the same cowardice that brought this disgusting turn of events to pass is now driving the obama administration. they are terrified of the answers that might be found if questions are asked. terrified of the brutal political price to be paid of the torturers are brought to account.

what we know is bad enough, but i've spent enough shadow time to know that what we know is not even a tip of an iceberg.

i also know that shadows, like the abyss, peer back at us.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 7:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

ael,
Your comment cannot be verified. Since we have secret sites then what happens there is secret.How can you say with complete confidence that we haven't buried people at nite and secretly.?I do not have such an optimistic view.
These CIA/ dod OPERATORS FEAR NO REPRISALS AND HIDE BEHIND CODE NAMES AND CUT OUTS.The system is protecting actual war criminals.Try MG Miller as a prime example.
The sad fact is that we've killed people in interogation and nobody has ever been charged with murder.
jim

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 7:47:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

MB,

No one is tearing up the grass to reveal what Mr. Rumsfeld might have called, the unknown unknowns. But that is the gesture, no matter how ugly the revelations, which will help return our integrity.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 8:27:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Essentially, this "proves" that the French were right: terrorists are criminals, not "enemy combatants". And should be treated as criminals with trials and all that ACLU stuff.

Even "Enemy Combatants" have rights under the Geneva Conventions which we allegedly follow. Except when we don't'

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 10:49:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

old bogus,
I roger your msg but my key point is that we've entered into political prisoner terrain -and that's no where land.
jim

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 at 11:21:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home