RANGER AGAINST WAR: Goodbye, Lurch <

Friday, February 15, 2008

Goodbye, Lurch

Think where man's glory most begins and ends,
And say my glory was I had such friends

--The Municipal Gallery Re-visited
,
William Butler Yeats


True friends are a reward,
leaving them is the penalty of life.
--Faryal Khan Kharal
_________

An eloquent light in the military and political blog world has gone out; a gentleman of the old school, ruffian though he was.

This post is in memoriam of fellow blogger Lurch of
Main and Central. He was the first person to comment to our blog, before we were even savvy enough to put ourselves on search engines. I don't know how he found us, but he was a staunch ally and adviser from the outset. One could say he was a guardian angel, of sorts.

Ranger says Lurch was an "upright guy." True enough. I will add to that some thoughts on the Lurch I knew.


Because I could not engage on the level of MRAP's, bridges or any of the myriad topics upon which Lurch [John] so ably discoursed, we spoke of the world outside the blog. Though we met only once, I came to know him via email and phone conversations and I believe we enjoyed a special candor.

He batted every ball I threw, and as I am pretty blunt, finding someone to play is always a pleasant surprise. Sometimes I would pose "silly women's questions" to him, and predictably he would come back with, "Well, I know what I would do," which meant doing something smart and taking decisive action. "Sometimes you just have to shove your chips in the center of the table and stare the other guy down." John would have made a terrible little woman.

He was great romantic, and loved his late wife dearly. He was also a great cinephile who loved all genres, but especially romances. You can imagine how he earned his nickname, and I always think it is dear when such a big gruff man reveals himself to be such a softie. I am left with a list of film suggestions I will now never get to discuss with him.

He kept me in the pop cultural loop with the most absurd You Tubes. Uncannily at times he would send me music which was just right for the moment, such as the evening he sent me Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Over the Rainbow."

Sometimes, he would answer a question I would pose via song lyrics. It took thoughtfulness and time, coupled with his encyclopedic storehouse of knowledge. I fancy he had a 6th sense. He tried to expand my musical repertoire with Europop, techno and Afro-Latin fusion, but generally he was firmly ensconced in the late 70's and 80's NYC CBGB era.

His great revelation was living in San Francisco and being able to go to work in shorts and and a T-shirt. He loved his little dachshund, "The Master of the Universe." Like many bachelors, he had some inviolable routines, like 7:30 dinner prep.

He surprised me on occasion with a late call if he would see a late post go up. Being a night owl, I never minded. Of late, I noticed more music on his site with an optimistic tone. I hope he is untroubled and free.


"And in a big country, dreams stay with you
Like a lover's voice, fires the mountainside
...Stay alive...

(I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered.
But you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered)

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert,
But I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime..."
--In a Big Country
, Big Country


Finally, an excerpt from one of our first correspondences from two years ago which is a perfect example of his introspection and directness:

"Candor is a dangerous tool; a two-edged sword because when it is turned on another, it also cuts the wielder. Thus endeth the philosophy lesson.

"But candor is also honesty, and we cannot survive as a species, nor as individuals if we are not honest to others, and to ourselves.

"I had a basset hound once that I was walking down the street and he was so intent on staring at another dog across the street that he walked right into a streetlight. He gave me a look that was, for a split second, a perfect anthropomorphic example of confusion and embarrassment, and so help me it changed to a look I considered, 'I meant to do that.' We've all had those
moments, and it's important not to fool ourselves in our attempts to fool others."

He was my friend, and I'll miss him.

*Addendum: Came across a reference to Edith Piaf today, which reminded me of what may have first opened the door to our free-roaming conversations.

I once posed a question which now escapes me, but John thought he was clever and in response cribbed the lyrics from Piaf's "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rein," without identifying his source. I thought he was a tremendous drama queen until I made it to the second line of the translation and realized what he'd done.

I responded, "Alright, Edith," and from that point out realized how much he enjoyed being caught in his little inside jokes and double entendres. Verbal sparring was a great pleasure, and I shall miss that, too.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Seven of Six said...

I've lost a good friend. Waiting for more news. Heartbroken, no answers...

He did speak proudly and highly of his late wife.
I was to visit him this year in FL. He came to AZ last year (I think) to visit my family.

Uncannily at times he would send me music which was just right for the moment, such as the evening he sent me Israel Kamakawiwo'ole's version of "Over the Rainbow."

I don't want to take credit but maybe he saw this song posted at my site and thought it worthwhile to pass on. (One of the few I posted.)

Damn it... going to miss you...

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 1:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hi seven of six,

I know he enjoyed his visit with you two years ago immensely. He found the West very beautiful.

Please feel free to share any further news or thoughts here. Lurch was too young to have left us.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 2:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Steven said...

One of my top 5 blogs to get the latest military news is Main and Central. My heart bleeds blue for another USAF veteran. My condolences to his family.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 3:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Fixer said...

Beautiful post, Lisa.

More info forthcoming in a few days over at M&C. Sorry for the ambiguity but I'm in touch with his family and all will be explained.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 4:25:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

yeah, we did, indeed, lose a good one. i was remarking to a friend the other day that i sometimes take great comfort in the old axiom the good die young.

means i gots me lots of time left.

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 5:37:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

MB,

You're good, and you've got lots of time left.

Andrew Marvell was speaking of you here: "Thus, though we cannot make our sun Stand still, yet we will make him run."

Friday, February 15, 2008 at 5:50:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Lurch , Thank you for your openness ,and inclusiveness. Thank you for your effort ,& thoughtful posts .You will be missed greatly . And thank you R A W ,for putting up this rememberance post. Regards

Thursday, February 21, 2008 at 10:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

tim,

Lurch was a tremendous soul. He didn't have to, as I'm not one of the boys, but he welcomed me in graciously. For that, I am eternally grateful.

Ranger will write his own thoughts on the matter soon.

Friday, February 22, 2008 at 9:31:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home