RANGER AGAINST WAR: Open Season <

Monday, February 11, 2008

Open Season


___________

Defense Finance and Accounting Services (DFAS) has sent two letters thus far on the same topic, which required administrative support and costs. While it has yet to top the five letters I have received for single VA appointments, it is still redundancy. (The VA is also kind enough to leave automated phone messages with the date and time of appointments; unfortunately, those phone reminders are often a day late.)

The DFAS letters require the service member to elect either Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) or Concurrent Receipt Disability Payments (CRDP). The former is tax-free; the latter is not.

Both programs are for retired service members and both require service-connected disabilities. The CRSC program is for combat-related or realistically combat-incurred training injuries. CRDP is similar, but targeted for non-combat related disabilities. In effect, both programs enable retired service members to receive VA disability along with their military retirement pay.

Some questions which come to mind:

  1. Why is CRDP taxed? It, after all, disability-based income. DVA disability is always untaxed, as is CRSC. As both CRDP and CRSC are both predicated on disability status, why would one be taxed and the other not?
  2. Who would elect to pay taxes if they are eligible to receive CRSC?
  3. Why does the Department of Defense incur costs of running these programs in a needlessly administratively complex manner? Once certified for a program, why impose the choice annually?

Ranger is appreciative of his CRSC payments and encourages all retired service members to apply for either of these programs. While administrative nightmares, the payoff is beneficial. If you did the time, get paid for it.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unfortunate Son said...

someone told me you might be able to help, I'm a member of IVAW, I've been working on alotta current vets' issues: like peer counseling & homeless veteran outreach. anyway, I'm an artist that needs serious support because of the subjects I express, I've been banned & censored *(from my University's Art & War exhibit last year & numerous other venues around town.) finally I've been accepted into a national soldiers/vets art exhibit "Expressions of the Iraq War," this will also go on a national tour to 5 other major cities, with media coverage, a web & video documentary made of it, since it will be the largest art exhibit of mostly vets/soldiers & refugees of this (these) wars.
my sculpture "Shattered Soldier" was done in response to 3 of my comrades committing suicide when they got back. I did it mostly to help myself heal, but also to make as memorial for others might intervene if they know someone who isn't coping well when they return. here's my sculpture, it's life-sized and heavy hell. Shipping is the one thing that is seriously holding me back right now, and I've applied for grants, but I live in Iowa, and my community is pretty conservative, if that is how they perceive my art, before they even grasp the content or reasons I did it.
http://www.reconnectus.org/?artist=JohnPaulHornbeck

if you wan to see some of my other art:
http://longun.deviantart.com/
mostly my sculptures.
then
http://missing-in-america.deviantart.com/
mostly photography of sorts.

I also have a blog, but I haven't kept up with it, I've been busy, Karl Rove is coming to speak at my University (Iowa) and we're trying to organize the campus to ban the event (he's getting paid $40,000 to come speak at our Lecture Series.) It's criminal. anyway, lemme know what you think. any support would help, I've approached other local vets groups (all or most are conservative, and thought my art was in poor taste, but outside of Iowa, it's nationally gotten coverage and attention, being featured in documentaries and being well accepted, regardless of an individual's political preference or stance on the war, it deals with the issues of veterans' mental healthcare, that ultimately led to my 3 comrades (and many others') demise. sorry for writing you in length.

Monday, February 11, 2008 at 11:15:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Unfortunate Son,Best of luck to you but Ranger does not work as an advocate other than at an issue level.
I'd like to give you inspiring and hopeful words but that won't help.Consider pulling in your perimeter and firing at selected targets . Good luck again. jim

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 10:53:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

unfortunate son,

I am very sorry to hear of the deaths of your three comrades.

While Iowa is conservative, I also know they are the home of the progressive Iowa writer's project, so perhaps some of those folks can provide you some direction and maybe you could get involved with a multimedia project of like-minded artists.

I may like to use your MIA graphic on a post, with proper attribution, of course, if you will provide it.

Please let me know.

--Lisa

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 at 12:47:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home