RANGER AGAINST WAR: Since We Have a Hammer <

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Since We Have a Hammer

If I had a hammer, I'd hammer in the morning
I'd hammer in the evening all over this land

--Pete Seeger

On Friday, General Pace said U.S. military leaders are making their own assessment of the course in Iraq." Well, when you're a hammer, all problems look like a nail. Predictably, generals will advise more violence and combat operations to solve the problem of violence in Iraq.


Events have proven that military measures have broken Iraq, and now is the time for diplomatic and political solutions.


The President also said on Veteran's Day, "America faces brutal enemies who have attacked us before and want to attack us again." I agree wholeheartedly, as should all aware citizens. But how is being party to the death and violence in Iraq addressing this issue? Iraq is a self-inflicted wound that does not address the threat of non-state sponsored terrorism aimed at America.

Further, GWB said "I have a message for these enemies...our nation is committed to bringing you to justice..." Well, sort of.

The American military machine does not administer justice. This should be a Department of Justice function, which would imply no torture, secret prisons, or any other legal shortcuts. Perhaps GWB sees the military as exacting some kind of cosmic retribution, but they are not the Four Hourseman. Our Consitution made sure to preclude that possibility.


I contend that GWB is soft on terrorism because his policies deny justice to the American public. Only bringing terrorists to trial for their criminal actions will satisfy that necessary criterion of a democracy. This legal approach would be true shift in policy, realigning us with our constitutional foundations.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, of course he's soft on terrorism. In fact, Mr. Bush is soft on just about everything except when it comes to Americans who don't happen to be wealthy. He kind of likes wealthy foreigners, too, some of whom rumor has it might actually be involved in terrorism. Nah, that can't be right.

Monday, November 13, 2006 at 11:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Yeah, I know I'm kind of gilding the lilly here... I really am confused as to why we don't focus on keeping our citizens safe, vs. those of Iraq or Afghanistan. There are poverty issues right here in River City that need addressed...

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 at 9:12:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its so weird to see irrational leaders. I wonder how their head works, it really worries me sometimes late at night...

Friday, November 17, 2006 at 8:28:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

It worries me during the day. (I devote my nights to worrying about my woman's irrationality!)

Friday, November 17, 2006 at 9:07:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home