RANGER AGAINST WAR: Not Coming to Your Town Anytime Soon <

Friday, December 08, 2006

Not Coming to Your Town Anytime Soon

There is nothing worse than aggressive stupidity
--Goethe

I've never been very good at math. That's how I ended up with a B.A. and not a B.S. (it's not that I'm a liberal arts kind of guy, and I certainly know how to b.s., so it's too bad I couldn't get the degree to go with it.) Anyway, the frustrated accountant in me wants to hold this administration accountable, so here's my latest foray into the world of high finance:


The
New York Times reports that Official Afghan statistics estimate 70,000 Afghani police officers have been trained by U.S. contractors (Texas-based, no less). The figure is widely thought to be inflated, and a more realistic figure offered is 30,395. I don't know why they couldn't go the extra five, but the NYT's has its reasons.

Whatever figure you accept, these police were trained by 377 police advisors, at a cost to U.S. taxpayers of $1.1 billion. Here's how I see the breakdown--


Best case scenario: $1.1 billion / 70,000 trainees = $14,285 per trainee

Worst case scenario: $1.1 billion / 30,395 trainees = $32,900 per trainee (my computations were actually based on a rounded down figure of 1 billion, but it's close enough for government work.)

For 377 instructors, if you divided that $1.1 billion evenly among them, you would arrive at a salary of $2,652,519 per employee. Seems like a lot of money per trainee.


And what has this outlay of funds bought for the American taxpayer?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were discussing it the other night over here how much of what the US has spent on "rebuilding" Iraq has actually gone to pay huge salaries to white men who have done jack-shit. Is there any chance of the democrats doing a proper political witch-hunt for the ones who have condoned the obvious corruption?

Saturday, December 9, 2006 at 10:25:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Martin,
I am not optimistic aboutanything the Democrats will introduce into the equation. I personally view the democrats as representing the rich people in America--as opposed the Republicans, who represent the super-rich. Those of us in the middle have no true representation.

Saturday, December 9, 2006 at 11:34:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Lurch,
You are always the bringer of glad tidings. I cannot tell you how much better I will be sleeping now...

Saturday, December 9, 2006 at 11:41:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home