RANGER AGAINST WAR: Betrayal <

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Betrayal

If this were a dictatorship, it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
--George W. Bush

Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly, I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked about such a thing.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower (1953)

I met a young man yesterday while conducting a business transaction by phone, and as it came up relevant to the business at hand, I mentioned this site to him. Courteously he said, "Yes, ma'am. I'll definitely be looking at that when I get home." A few moments on into the transaction, he said, "I have recently returned from a tour of duty in Iraq. I am very disturbed by the President saying,
I'm the decision-maker. I thought this was a democracy."

His tone seemed imploring. I thanked him for his service, and told him I thought he was not alone in that thought. I wanted to say or do something more, but the span of probably a thousand miles and the limitations of time prevented it, whatever it might have been. I repeated my invitation to visit the site.

Betrayal is a nasty business.

--by Lisa

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cannot tell you how deeply I appreciate your joint blog. As a federal employee I have been struggling with a surreal sense of what german bureaucrats must have felt like around 1933...
You remind me that it is not hopeless.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 7:49:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

wicheekate,

As a retired Federal employee myself (in addition to my military service), I understand the cognitive dissonance you endure. On my side of things, that's the reason I started this call in the wilderness. Letters like yours provide incentive to continue.

Unlike 1933 Ger., our last election should have solved this dilemma; thus far it hasn't. Congress must stiffen their resolve, and execute their constitutional authority. Thank you for your participation,

Jim and Lisa

Sunday, January 28, 2007 at 12:49:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home