RANGER AGAINST WAR: Antivenin <

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Antivenin

Don't ever lie to another Ranger, or to an officer
--original Roger's Rules for Rangers


I recently discovered a Special Operation Force organization (SOFORP.org) that takes umbrage with my views, and of course, their logical approach was a vulgar
ad hominem attack. I couldn't possibly be a Ranger, they reasoned, as I still had my faculties of reasoning largely intact; I did not toe the party line. There were threats against my integrity, and people who said they were going to "bust me." One sensible voice among them actually said, "It is America!" Thank you, Ranger.

After contacting the group to request that I at least be able to rebut the aspersions cast upon my qualifications, I was told that I may not do so, because they didn't like me. Fair enough. This is America, and everyone's got a voice.

But their approach is not very Ranger-direct. Backstabbing is not taught as one of the Ranger skills.

Rangers aren't supposed to lie to each other, but it seems these Rangers have no qualms about perpetrating lies and slander. This must be the values expressed by the new Action Army. I'm sure glad I'm not queer (but if I were, it would only be for a macho SOF-type.) God Bless America.

I would like to think reasoned dialog and dissent would be welcomed by men who think they have fought for those very freedoms. GWB is not my Commander-in-Chief; he is the President.


Since they will not grant the dignity to defend myself against the attacks upon my credentials on their site, I will do so here.


First is their rationale for disallowing my response; second, the response to the attacks that I was disallowed from posing:


[1] From Ranger to Site Adm., (after being initially disallowed from registering):

Could you please explain your criteria for membership, or assist me in the registration process.
If your site failed to register this info., here is a brief vita, per request:


(1) Ranger, 7-68; graduate with tab

(2) SFOC; graduate 3/70

(3)
5th Special Forces Group, 1970-'71
(4) 3rd Ranger Co., Ft. Benning, 1971-72

(5) Awarded 18A Skill Identifier
(6) Branch-transferred from Infantry to Special Forces
(7) Retired, US Army-05

Regards,
Jim
Site Adm. response:
Sure, we don't care for your website. We don't agree with it, and we actually support our troops and President Bush. That is our criteria.

Regards,
Admin

[2] My response they wouldn't publish:

1) Rangers should be direct, and it would've been appropriate to directly come to my site and question me. I have nothing to fear from talking to another Ranger. Aren't we all associates, and why presume that I'm not a tab-wearer.

2) I graduated from Ranger 7-68 (Winter), and served in the 3rd Ranger Company, 1971-2.


3) A Ranger tab on my sleeve does not indicate that I'm not free to think and write my views.


4) As always, Rangers lead the way.

Ranger Jim

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That sucks and I'm really sorry that you face such an unfair rebuke after bravely serving our country under arms in the past and serving it with your voice in the present.

I trust that many of those misguided Rangers will one day be ashamed of their current views and their treatment of you.

Thank you for your patriotism and service.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 9:49:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ranger:

What insanity--you shouldn't have to take that crap. You show the best in America by both serving your country honorably, and by voicing a reasoned opinion. That is something become rarer all the time.

It is as if you are Willy Wonka taking us on the Magical Mystery tour. Some of your observations are so astute and on target you take me from smiles to tears.

We are luck to have men such as yourself, who put their lives on the line, and return home and continue to fight, only now with words for what you feel is right for your fellow Americans and your country. Sir, your words touch me deeply. Your articles are filled with facts that merit being brought out into public scrutiny.

The only fault I ever find is, you are too kind to call the wrongdoers, war mongers, and general all around villains in our current government the names they so richly deserve.
Bush and Cheney and their continued rhetoric of staying the course disgust me. Good G-d what course? Thousands of our young people killed and maimed. Put into debt for trillions of dollars that could have been spent on education for these young men instead of coffins for them.

Please continue your excellent articles. It's people like you that have made our country great and hopefully can be great again...keep up your good work.

Looking forward to your continued good work.

Respectfully,
Dodie

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 10:28:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chuckle. You're surprised at this? You haven't noted that "hooah" has been substituted for thinking in today's Army, and that the Constitution is just another piece of paper?

Our Army today sees senior officers showing up at suit-type functions in the most recent version of fatigues. They're warriors, don't you know? Don't ever question, don't ever deviate from the party line.

Guys like you and me are yesterday's news. They don't want to hear from you, they don't care about you. After all, you're neither a Centurion nor a member of the Praetorian guard. So much for the bond between generations. They view you as weak and indecisive and not worthy of their attention. How could you ever question anything the government might do?

Seriously, you dramatically illustrate the growing divide between our military and the citizenry. Say goodbye to citizen-soldier.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 10:29:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Ranger, those guys don't know the English language either. "That is our criteria." Criteria is of course the plural of criterion, which means it must not be used with a singular such as "that"; you don't want to hook up with folks who don't know the difference.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 at 10:33:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Publius,

Your thoughtful comments have caused me to think on the matter...which is sometimes painful for a Ranger.

It made me think about my relations with WWII and Korean Rangers and other veterans, which were always straight-up and even. There was never any cross-communication, and we accepted each other as equals. Different wars, same soldiers.

Your comments make me realize that the modern generation is a different cut. We did our jobs without hatred, and approached it professionally; now it seems that hatred is equated with professionalism.

I appreciate your kind comments,
Jim

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 4:27:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

t,

I understand the need for these soldiers to adopt the attitude, if they're on active service. They must adopt an attitude of blind support for the current hostilities; it's a survival imperative.

However, crude accusations are not soldierly behavior, and I remain stunned at their reception. But the Ann Coulter ouevre rules, I see.

If they are not active soldiers, their attitude is flip and narrowly inappropriate. Their statement of supporting the troops is a chimera. A casual scanning of my articles will indicate my dedication to the soldiers and veteran's rights. This is my responsibility, both as a former leader and as a citizen.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 4:38:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Hi Publius,

I'm actually afraid to write anything now, knowing that you shall deconstruct my humble writings (!)

Your observation on them there guys made me smile. [FYI--I enjoy language, as well. I just received my latest copy of a bimonthly language newletter started by Richard Lederer called Spellbinder. I enjoy it, and you may, too.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 4:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry, Ranger, no deconstruction forthcoming from this direction. Language and the use thereof is kind of interesting, though. I was taught many years ago that what we say is lost in the wind; the written word lasts forever. I was also brought up by people who were sticklers on the use of language. Didn't hurt that I had excellent teachers as well.

Then I went into MI, where for a guy in my line of work who often spent more time with foreign devils than with good old 'Muricans, language skills were everything. I've gone through two foreign language courses; those actually ended up helping considerably in English usage. Later in life, I got credentials as a secondary school teacher and as an ESL teacher. My daughter, the scientist, sometimes gets very upset with me when I correct her. I don't care. I always tell her she reflects on me.

Now, WRT this post, I've just recently moved to the Hilton Head area from California. And, from what I've seen here, it's my sense that what you're trying to deal with here is rubes. Ah, rube, a great word that's often come to mind since I've moved to the South. Incidentally, you're in Florida and I'm not far away. I also travel to the Tampa area pretty often. We should work on having a beer sometime.

BTW, I'm new to your site, but I've been posting on blogs for some time. One of my favorites is Phil Carter's Intel-Dump (Phil links to you, you know, which is how I found you). I think you might find some interesting discussions. I also think you could contribute a lot. You'll see a lot of me there, because I am one opinionated SOB.

Don't worry about those bozos, Ranger. You're doing more for the troops than all of those cheerleaders saying, "go get 'em, boys." You're giving them truth. And truth is in short supply these days in this great nation that was founded on truth. Choose your associates wisely.

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 5:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Publius,

Thank you for your letter. It'd be a pleasure to drink a beer with you. My email is jim@rangeragainstwar.com.
It is heartening to know that there are people out there like yourself.

Jim

BTB, I imagine it was an enormous culture shock for you, coming as you did from California. I'm going to join in your get-together--Lisa

Sunday, February 11, 2007 at 7:49:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only problem is that there is no site soforp.org.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 1:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

anon,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention; it is SOFORP.com, and not ".org".

Jim believes the ORP in the address is short for "Objective rally point," hence, ORP.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 at 6:23:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Just a quik update on this post.After fighting it out with another group of weasel dicks at sofnet Ranger published academic reports from Ranger class 7/69 and SFOC 3/70. Included are oers from 3rd ranger company. These are provided for your viewing pleasure. Pls note that i was ranger 7/69 and not 7/68 as i n erroneously remembered. jim hruska

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 at 10:15:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home