RANGER AGAINST WAR: The Ants <

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Ants

--Mümtaz Yener

[Americans] can adapt when they see necessity
staring them in the face. What to avoid is

what someone once called the definition of hell:

truth realized too late

--E. O. Wilson, co-author of The Ants

Well, lads, we've lost the first round.
But we'll smash the beggars yet, don't you worry

--Leningen Versus the Ants

______________

First it was the bees.


"Why are the colonies dying?" was the question. Came no reply. The USDA website says the main symptom of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is "simply no or a low number of adult honey bees present but with a live queen." But when the workers hop ship, the colony is no longer viable.

Ranger sits in restaurants watching the world go by. This morning's establishment featured multiple tv's playing ESPN on all screens -- NFL, NBA, Baseball, hockey, the panoply of professional sports. The patrons sat mesmerized by the artifice that is the big money professional sports world.

These athletes, like the Wall Street bankers, pull in the big bucks while the rest of the country sees diminishing returns on their dollar. Why do we care who wins a damn sports game? Why do we celebrate this obscene disparity in salaries? What is the point?

The U.S. reminds Ranger of a fire ant nest. They are hard to kill, but sprinkle scented toxic granules of Amdro around their mound and the workers will dutifully carry it underground. After a few days of feasting upon the poison, the nest self destructs from within.

We are like those worker ants collecting Amdro powder, which are all the little baubles that captivate us, for a time. It is also all the toxins which pollute our bodies and nests.

Meanwhile, the game goes on.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To be honest, I was a total football fanatic.
Minnisota Vikings...Fran Tarkington, the Purple People Eaters, the works.
Even had me a Viking cap, too.
Then the first strike.
And I heard one guy whining and complaining about making...$900,000.00 a season.
Mind you, me, who played four years of highschool, and one summer of College (which that one summer put on the finishing touches of what would be a career limiting injury) was at that time, making $5.00/hr.
I forgave, and went back to my drug of choice, alcohol, and though the joy of the games was diminished...I suspended my irritation and enjoyed the games till...yep, the second strike.
At that point, I was sick of them.
Then the baseball guys struck too, and I lost all interest in anything sports till I had my boys.
And herein is the most wonderful thing I've ever seen in my life.
Little guys, barely topping my waist, playing their hearts out...yes, playing like today is the end of all days, and this game is the end of all games...all...for the praises of their parents, coaches, a bottle of water, a juice box, and some fresh fruit snackies!
Wow, what a difference!
I got totally into the games because for me, watching those little guys playing their hearts out was amazing.
And now, now I think...yes, that is what will save US professional sports...only those who want to play for the game, and are willing to accept bottles of water, fruit juice boxes, and fresh fruit snackies as payment should be allowed to be shown on television.

I know, I'm weird, but stop by a little pee-wee game and watch for yourself.
It'll be the best game you've ever seen.
I promise.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 10:27:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

sheerahkhan,

You write with passion, and the little chaps sure do give it their all, in between brutal and frustrated coaches and professional players manque (that would be their parents).

Perhaps: The pro players today started out on those little league fields. Better yet: on inner city streets where nary a bottle of fruit juice was to be had.

Greed gets the best of all of us.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 at 10:43:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Terrible said...

"Why do we care who wins a damn sports game? Why do we celebrate this obscene disparity in salaries? What is the point?"

Questions I've asked myself for many years. I just could never understand the 'draw' to professional sports. And the pay is definitly obscene alright. If ditch diggers were paid that kind of money would make more sense. Not saying they should be it'd just make more sense to spend the money on practicalities rather then 'sport'.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 12:47:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Terrible said...

sheerahkahn, now that sounds like a sure winner!

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 at 12:49:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home