RANGER AGAINST WAR: Crossed Transactions <

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Crossed Transactions

I was musing today over my visceral discomfort with the Bush administration. Take away the obvious gaffes, lies, Constitutional encroachments...why don't I like these folks, not even a little?

As a child of the 60's--that self-indulgent era that heralded the advent of pop-psychology and the much-needed though little-effective self help genre--I was brought to mind of Dr. Eric Berne and his Transactional Analysis (TA) model.

For those who don't remember, Berne divided all interactions as arising from either a parent, child or adult ego state. A successful transaction (interaction) must be complimentary, and not crossed, meaning that the sending ego state must be met by the receiving ego state. So, if you transmit your message as an adult, and are speaking, say, to a child ego state, your correspondent must reply to you in kind--as a child--in order for a non-conflicted communication to occur.

As it pertains to the Bush administration, I feel they assume the mantle of the Parent, treating the U.S. electorate and the rest of the world as children or adults. Unfortunately, speaking down to the world from a disingenuous authoritarian state elicits a crossed transaction, and will never lead to harmony or understanding. Berne introduced his idea to the public in his book, Games People Play. Unfortunately, the games this administration plays have deadly repurcussions.

Well, I'm off to revisit Alan Watts, and his idea of the human as an ego sack. Why do I have an image now of Mr. Bush zipped up in his flight suit?

5 Comments:

Blogger Wisewebwoman said...

Found your link on Bartcop where I go for a daily 'fix'. Good words.

Did some TA myself way back. RE: your comments of Dumbya in flight suit - I've always viewed it as a playsuit for a toddler. His utterings are those of a pre-schooler, his rage the tantrums of a two-year old and to the best of my knowledge TA did not quite embrace that level of immaturity.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006 at 2:05:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as the flight suit goes, the moment I saw that the first thing that came to mind was the musical "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" and the character Miles Gloriosus. I half expected Bush to declare "Stand aside! I take large steps".

It struck me that Bush was playing a role that he had no ability to play in real life - that of a war hero. We all know of his questionable (at best) service in the National guard. It seemed that he knew he was a phony and was overcompensating in machismo and swagger what he lacked in courage and ability.

I also got your link from Bartcop. It's nice to see another experienced military voice speaking up, especially since David Hackworth passed on.

As for me, my experience is limited to 4 years active duty peacetime service and a few more in the reserves -- which is still more than most members of the Bush administration.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 9:17:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Thanks Mike--you have an impeccable sense of humor, and in an ideal world, everyone would have peacetime service.
Thank you for your active and resrve duty.

Thursday, September 28, 2006 at 8:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with mike D. I read a few of the military folk out there - but not all.

6.5 yrs Marine Corps... some active, some reserve. 8y, 9m Army N.G. Didn't enjoy all of it, but looking back it was a necessary component of what we have today. And, what I have today.

Our nation is stuck on selfish, and stupid. Until it gets it's collective head out of it's ass... not much is going to change.

Far as WE Veterans go - we should stand side by side and demand by whatever means necessary, that the CiC take responsibility for his actions on his AWOL status. The facts are out there, without much doubt it was covered uo.

He needs to stand tall and take the high hard one.

Semper FI

Monday, October 2, 2006 at 6:17:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Dear Barndog,

Is this a takeoff on the Marine devildog? As for your last paragraph, I agree totally. I'm a life member of MOPH and DAV, and I'm always amazed at the blind allegiance offered to the President. Just because he is President, doesn't mean he is to be accorded unquestioning fealty. Esp. not in the face of facts to the contrary.

It's my belief as a disabled veteran that our fraternal organizions should be dedicated to the welfare of present members, and policies that minimize reckless and heedless injury to our troops.

I would rate the MOPH a success if there were never any more injured veterans. And I believe you are also correct about many being stuck in the selfish and stupid groove today. I am at a loss,

Thanks for reading and for your service,
Jim

Monday, October 2, 2006 at 8:20:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home