RANGER AGAINST WAR: Thanks, Lowell <

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanks, Lowell

I've recently been in communication with my former First Sergeant, Lowell Jergens (CSM, US Army, retired). The following is a letter I was going to send, but I've decided to say it here, because really, it's a universal letter to all of the Lowells out there. The Army and the world would be a better place if more people took Sergeant Major Jergen's approach.

What happens on the personal level affects the institution. Thousands of Airborne soldiers were given our philosophy, which was unique to our company. We treated them with dignity and respect, and I hope they took that with them. That's the best that an officer can hope for.


Lowell,

I want to tell you how much I appreciate the help and guidance you provided when I was a young company commander. These things often go unsaid in hard-guy circles. Too many of our friends and associates are beyond these words, so they should be said now.

LTC Anderson, Battalion Commander, used to say there are two types of officers--those that do, and those that tell you why you can't. I'll extend that and say there are two types of NCO's: those that will help a young officer, and those that will screw him every chance that arises. You were a solid helper.

ROTC did not teach this, and I learned it the hard way. Survival depended on being able to differentiate. The other professional NCO's in the company did their jobs and maintained their distance, but they never stepped over the line into the helper mode. Fortunately, they were professional enough not to torpedo the program. I realize this was due to your influence.

Thank you is the least, and most, I can say.

Airborne!
Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home