RANGER AGAINST WAR: Pirates of Foggy Bottom <

Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pirates of Foggy Bottom

This is about the picture accompanying the article, "Rumsfeld Honored for His Service," AP, 12/16/06. If I wasn't an infantryman, I would've been an art critic, I'm sure. Forget Rumsfeld; he's not worthy of comment.

[I wanted to provide a link to this picture, which was featured on the front page of The Tallahassee Democrat's "Nation & World" section (12/16/06). Unfortunately, our capital city paper hasn't yet cached the article. If interested, I'm sure the video provided with this AP link will provide the image to which I refer.]


The photo is a great "grip and grin" with GWB and Rummy. Included in the frame is VP Cheney and Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Marine General Pace. (As an aside, Cheney actually appears to be smiling, vs. snarling, though the shutter may have just caught him mid-snarl. Otherwise, it's another Botox miracle.) A caveat: for readers fond of Pace, reading on will only generate hostility, so best to stop now and save everybody grief. Generally, this site avoids personal observations, but I could not restrain myself.


Pace is wearing a chestful of ribbons, none of which are worth more than a bucket of spit. Above these medals is a U.S. Army paratrooper badge--junior jumper style. This hero never earned his USMC wings. He does sport white gloves though; how cute. Clapping, nonetheless. Reminds me of Japanese Noh theater. But since I must view this a (tragi-)comedy, we'll call it Kyogen theater. WTF...is he a cheerleader or the military head of the U.S. Forces? The overall effect is limp-wristed. The USMC deserves adult leadership.

Remember when the USMC had Medal of Honor winners wearing the four bullets? Think of the men that held national command authority military leadership posts--Grant, Sheridan, Pershing, MacArthur, Eisenhower, Marshall, Bradley, Wilson (USMC), Harold K. Johnson, Westmoreland, Abrams. These were the leaders that the military groomed and rewarded with command.

Fast-forward to today's Phony War on Terror. The military leaders are simply parrots on the shoulders of the Rummy characters. Times were when soldiers were chosen for military expertise rather than religious and political reliability.

Possibly the Baker Commission could explore this topic.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, Ranger. I think Pace is kind of cute, white gloves and all. That array of fruit salad in the minis is quite dashing. I'd let him carry my bags anytime. At least he's wearing a dress uniform. Didn't see Schoonower there. Guess he didn't have anything other than fatigues to wear.

Just received a DVD from an old friend. Watched it last night. "George Marshall and the American Century." It's well worth watching, although you may think you don't need to. After Pace, Myers, Schoonower, et all, who needs an old fuddy-duddy like George Marshall? He only had three rows of ribbons to go with those five stars on each shoulder. What did he know?

Hackworth had it about right.

Sunday, December 17, 2006 at 6:27:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Publius,

I don't think I ever had white gloves, let alone, would I wear them. These were never a std. issue at the Benning School for Boys. Although they did give us etiquette and couth training at Inf. Ofcr. Basic course. They did this so we would be brought near West Point Standards. (They were taught this in school, while ROTC did not addresss these niceties.)

Remember the incident when Grant first met Lincoln. A far cry from Pace. I believe that Schoomaker is in fact a criminal. His dealings in Columbia through Delta were violations of U.S. law, as I see it.

Marshall, if I remeber correctly, was born in Uniontown, PA, 12 miles from me; none of his stardust settled on my shoulders, unfortunately. I just wrote an article on the Marshall plan. It'll be on soon.

I find it distressing that military leaders have become sycophantic cheerleaders for ideologues. Thanks for reading. I have the sense you are a Ranger, too.

Monday, December 18, 2006 at 10:14:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your comment on Cheney's smile - that was great. Well, I have officially graduated FSU and have a B.A. in Women's Studies. I hope everything is good with you. I'll keep in touch!
- girl from the bookstore

Monday, December 18, 2006 at 11:57:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

anon.--glad you liked it, and good luck to you upon your graduation.

Monday, December 18, 2006 at 1:04:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marshall was a man. I dont personally know any marines, but from what I read they have an instituional short temper with bad commanders. Any of you US persons know how the mood is with the actual troops?

Monday, December 18, 2006 at 1:19:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim - I watched a large part of the ceremony for Rumsfield on C-SPAN. It was surreal. The thought crossed my mind -- Perhaps he did exactly what he was supposed to do and got exactly the results wanted -- choas in Iraq and a "reason" (other than OIL) to never leave! GunshowJoe

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 at 10:16:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

I'm with you, Joe. Somebody's gotta be a fall guy.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 at 9:02:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home