RANGER AGAINST WAR: Florida's Fiduciary Felons <

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Florida's Fiduciary Felons


Are there people too dumb to know
Bush isn't "for" them?

--
WaPo Discussion on U.S. Political Stupidity

I'm getting married in the morning!

Ding dong! the bells are gonna chime.

Feather and tar me;

Call out the Army;

But get me to the church on time

--I'm Getting Married in the Morning,

My Fair Lady


Too much, too little,

too late to ever try again
--Too Much, Too Little, Too Late,

Johnny Mathis
______________

Florida just keeps getting better all the time, as far as creating materials for the next Carl Hiasson novel goes. This one vies with the wife who put her recently killed husband through the wood chipper.

It seems the Office of Financial Regulation (OFR), the agency that licenses mortgage brokers, allowed some felons to enter the Florida home loan business. Actually, about 10,000 of them between 2000 and 2006. Not a good time to have felons running the show, in the midst of the subprime circus.

The fate of the top (non-)regulator, OFR Commissioner Don Saxon, is still up in the air. Said Saxon, ''We do not have a systemic problem of licensing felons.'' We reckon it was not so much a problem, as a choice.

A
Miami Herald investigation said "the agency allowed more than 10,000 people with criminal backgrounds to sell home loans in Florida, including bank robbers, racketeers and cocaine traffickers." If you read Travis McGee novels, you realize these are the people in your Florida neighborhood.


"More than 4,000 of those passed OFR background checks despite criminal records, with most committing crimes that state law specifically required the agency to screen -- fraud, dishonest dealing and crimes of ''moral turpitude.'' Convicted criminals went on to steal at least $85 million from consumers and lenders, the newspaper found.


If you've been to a Baptist church service, you know there isn't much worse than moral turpitude, a hazy area including things like fornication and Santería chicken sacrifices.

"Florida now has the highest mortgage-fraud rate in the nation." We're #1, baby.

"Shaken" Florida Governor Crist is nearing the end of his two-week ultimatum to the Office of Financial Regulation to come up with a tougher licensing plan. But not too tough.

The governor said he wants the state to ''be cautious and exercise a degree of compassion'' for license applicants whose prior crimes have no bearing on their ability to act as trustworthy stewards.


'''When it doesn't relate to something of a pecuniary, or financial arena, we need to give people a second chance,' Crist said.

"[Attorney General Bill] McCollum said he doesn't think barring people with prior financial crimes goes far enough,
calling for a five- to seven-year ban on all felons obtaining licenses as mortgage brokers, Realtors, bankers or others who handle personal financial data.

"He noted that Scott Almeida, a mortgage broker highlighted in The Miami Herald series who fleeced 30 victims out of nearly $3 million, had been convicted of cocaine trafficking.

''To take a cocaine trafficker and give him a license to be a mortgage broker, I don't think it's any safer than somebody who is convicted of mortgage fraud,'' McCollum said.


McCollum's plan sounds reasonable, but Crist
is jockeying for a VP slot this election, so alienating possible allies wouldn't be good. He has already made the family value concession of proposing marriage to Carole Roma. It would be tragedy to lose his spot in the running now.

As for suspect Saxon, he is not gonna give any more new broker's licenses to anyone who has been convicted of a felony in the last seven years. Chief Financial Officer and the Cabinet's lone Democrat Alex Sink says "too little, too late," and she calls for Saxon's ouster.

In addition to the
10,000 fiduciary felons, 5,000 more criminals were hired as loan originators, people who do the same thing as mortgage brokers. Saxon's agency has "repeatedly refused to press for the licensing of loan originators."

"There is a huge question mark as to why none of this was brought up before when it really mattered,'' said House Minority Leader Dan Gelber, D-Miami Beach. "This should have been done
before the cow left the barn.'' Silly Minority Leader Gelber -- that's not how things work in this administration. How can profits be made if the cash cow can't escape when no one's looking, hmmm?

Meanwhile, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) seized First Priority Bank of Bradenton, FL, the eighth bank collapse nationally but the first in Florida (First Priority Bank is Seized.) Analysts say it won't be the last. Florida's central Atlantic coast was a hotbed of subprime mortgage lending.

"First Priority’s former officers and directors failed to properly vet borrowers during the boom, and that they approved an overexuberant expansion at a time when caution was needed."

Let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream (Amos 5:24).

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you make a very important point about the subject of your post. Too much of this kind of thing is happening these days and something should be done about it. Let's keep the dialogue going on this issue and make sure to keep our eyes open for any new developments.

Kudos all around for catching this. I look forward to learning more.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 6:42:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Thank you, Walker.

I'm keeping my eyes on it.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 9:24:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

the best way to rob a bank is to own the son of a bitch.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 11:17:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

That's about the size of it. In line with that wisdom, a cockhound should never own a whorehouse.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 11:34:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger FDChief said...

If the American public could be woken from its opium dream of VISA cards with no limit, T&A, Hummers and football the level of crony capitalism in much of our country would astound us. We sneer at the Russians with their government mafiosi but we have no problem whistling past the capital as lobbyists and their clients feed at the public trough, sweetheart deals are made from Pennsylvania Ave to Capitol Hill and industry shills slip from business to government "regulatory" agencies with the casual grace of a camel leaping through the eye of a needle. Leaving the poor twelve-buck-an-hour saps to pay the freight.

Vae victus, America

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 4:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Terrible said...

Bank robbers, racketeers and cocaine traffickers robbing people? Who'd a thunk it?

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 at 4:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Terrible, i'd think these types would be attracted to politics or organised religion.Maybe war contracting. jim

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 11:56:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

FDChief,
I have a hard time differentiating between the Russian mobs and the US govt CIA and associated security types. jim

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 11:59:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

FDChief,

As an afterthought: Recently I had to arm wrestle with my bank to lower my VISA limit from $9,500 to $2,500. They could not understand someone wanting to do such a thing. In fact, they offered to raise it.

Ergo, America, 2008-style.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 12:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger FDChief said...

Ranger: I do not have a credit card and haven't since I cut my last one up in the 1990s. I pay my bills in cash, and my wife has a credit card that we use only for big-ticket items (which we then pay down as quickly as we can).

The wierd thing in that this fiscal caution hurts me; I have a really rotten credit rating because I have no "credit history". The fact that I save and pay up front with cash is treated as some kind of flaw.

I suspect that history will not look kindly back at the past forty or so years of U.S. economic policies...

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 1:34:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Chief,

Kudos to you for dispensing with the cards. I was raised to understand that you put nothing on credit which you could not reasonably expect to pay off within the month. So to me, credit has never been anything other than an alternate method of cash payment, and it would never occur to me to buy discretionary items on credit which I could not pay for.

Odd that lowers our credit rating to be financially responsible citizens. How could history approve of such profligate spending?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 5:24:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Chief, there are some advantages to card ownership. Travelling overseas requires one to have a card. Hotels and car rental require card use.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 at 7:09:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have written to every government agency I can find and have been tossed one excuse after another and have been passed from one state office to another with no assistance or an explanation for being ignored. Just the other day I watched a news program filmed on Feb 16th 2009 of Senator Bill Nelson going throughout the Tampa Courthouse displaying the mold there, (nothing compared to the mold left for me in the home I bought), and what the workers are experiencing health wise due to this mold. Senator Nelson even claimed respiratory distress after just a tour of the courthouse; I had no choice financially but to reside in the toxic mold for nearly 3 years. All of those years in respiratory distress

What is it that makes those who work in the courthouse more worthy as human beings than myself? I pay my taxes, I educated myself in Florida colleges, and I suffer devastating health issues just as those courthouse workers do. The only difference is that my mold came in the form of mortgage and disclosure fraud and misrepresentation, perpetuated by the OFR’s negligence in giving a mortgage brokers license to a known to them criminal.

I have been victimized not only once by the crooked mortgage broker colluding with the sellers to put me in the contaminated home with a forged signature and altered documents. (I didn’t buy more than I could afford, nor did my finances warrant a predatory loan, I’m a veteran of the USAF).

Now I find I am victimized twice in finding that the OFR gave the brokers license to Art Seaborne, the mortgage broker, just 9 years after the OFR revoked his real estate license for mortgage fraud, oh and just one year after a chapter 7 bankruptcy… it doesn’t take a brain surgeon to see what is going to take place there does it??? (All this information was not easily accessible to find out before a closing).

Those of us left with nothing by the mortgage criminals the State of Florida licensed are again ignored and victimized by our Presidents mortgage assistance bill, which completely ignores those in this position who are the real victims of predatory lending and mortgage fraud. So it looks to me like its time the State of Florida stepped-up and took responsibility where it is most definitely due, they licensed the crooks after all.

I have moved from the house, which sits in Sarasota rotting to the ground from water intrusion and toxic black mold, with 2 liens on it for foreclosure. But I still pay each and everyday. I am awakening daily struggling to breathe. I take 2-4 pills each day just to get air in my lungs and go through a box of tissues daily before I can even start my day. It’s like getting a life sentence for a crime someone else committed, and no home to show for it. This is just plain wrong! Not to mention criminal actions by the State.

My court case has stalled because the sellers and the mortgage broker can afford high priced lawyers who just keep the case going to use up what little money I can make while they use the money they stole from me to fund their criminal activities and representation. This alone is where the States fraud victims fund is owed in assistance to those of us stuck fighting the criminals you licensed for our inalienable rights. After all OFR, you are supposed to be working through regulations to protect us from this type of crime.

I am a 48-year-old divorced woman who had so much promise for my future. I had planned to go back to UFS for my masters’ degree but can barely afford living expenses and a lawyer now.

I know through research that I am not the only one in this situation. That is why the victim’s fund must be brought back and used to assist us in our struggle, after all our hard earned money is now paying for the high priced lawyers your licensed criminals are hiding behind. The State of Florida cannot continue to hide the egg on their face. But you do have the opportunity to make good on this.

I would like the opportunity to address the legislature concerning the victim’s fund. We who are the victims are not just another situation we are human beings, tax-paying citizens who deserve to live and breathe and have our lives back.

Receiving assistance from this fund could very well mean the difference of living a full life or living a lifetime of sickness and financial disability to so many of us… your victims made so by your mistakes. I was raised that when you realize that you made a mistake and you are given the opportunity to rectify that mistake doing so is the only right thing to do. I am pleading with the State of Florida to rectify their mistake and save our lives. This is the State of Florida in the year 2009 for God’s sake, not the Wild West. I am on a mission to make things right, won’t you please stand-up and help me as you are the only ones who can?

A quote from OFR Terry Straub said… "We look at all the facets around, you know, whatever file, and we predicate on the fact that everybody deserves another chance," said Terry Straub, director of the OFR's Division of Finance, which regulates the mortgage industry in Florida.

Where is another chance for us Terry Straub? We did nothing wrong and lost everything!

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 8:40:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Anon,
You have my heartfelt sympathy since I'm aware of the Stattes protection of builders and architects.
I've had severe problems with a builder/arch and the States Atty will not pursue criminal charges because qoute -it'll be too hard to prove.This is a lie since the law has a yardstick in it which is a lien filed by a subcontractor. My house has a lien against it by a sub.
My house had 15 code violations , i hired a forensic engineer and a consulting out side PH. D engineer.I went to DBPR and they WILL TAKE NO ACTION.They won't even discuss the case with me b/c of confidentiality AND I FILED THE COMPLAINT!!!What ever happened to sunshine and fairness.?
The worst experience of my ENTIRE life has been dealing with this builder.
My entire life has become totally tainted by the negativity that this case exudes.
You have my complete understanding and sympathy. The entire legal system protects these parasites.
jim

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 9:30:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

anon,

I am very sorry to hear this, yet not surprised. I hope you are petitioning each of your reps, with medical records showing your distress. all of your media, too. Maybe their is a civic action group.

It would be great if you could testify b/f a committee actually addressing this problem. If we want productive workers, we need healthy workers, and the shoddy Florida construction industry is building sick buildings.

Good luck.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 10:58:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pensacola Florida is prosecuting a man for a crime the mortgage broker committed.

The state charged the broker with a fine of $4000 for multiple violations.

They do not turn in or over to local law due to the profit margin.

See why not charge those 10,000 bad brokers a fine of Thousands of dollars and let them stay on board.

See the Office of Financial Regulation in FLORIDA answers to nobody for accountability

They operated like a big bank, and why not the banks got away with fraud.

They collected penalties, charged for license fees, and where did that money go?

They cancelled the victims fund and used the money for 5 star hotels, trips, and well guess...

Now when a broker has a record not available to anyone but the O.F.R. and they stay hush hush for money.

Go figure they went from 2 million dollars in their bank account to $40,000,000+ in 5 years !

Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 4:11:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous GODZILLA said...

1st Judicial District Bench is made up of real estate investors.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 4:12:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha the GOOD OLE BOYS set you up for a price.

It is called prosecution for hire.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 at 4:13:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home