RANGER AGAINST WAR: Presidential Unit Citation <

Friday, February 20, 2009

Presidential Unit Citation

Michael Bishop, Military Rep to Congressman Boyd,
pinning Ranger with his
Presidential Unit Citation,
2/17/09



_______________

Ranger was awarded his Presidential Unit Citation this week for his service with B53/5th Special Forces group, in a "highly classified mission in 1970."

I remember asking him what he did in Vietnam when I first met him. When he said he was with "B53" I pressed -- "So, what was that?" He shrugged his shoulders and said that's what they called it. This secret name of a letter and numbers sounded a bit fishy to me, until he explained it was a part of the MACVSOG project (Military Assistance Command, Vietnam, Studies and Observations Group.)

Ranger was glad to be in the SOG environment at B53 versus Command and Control South, Central and North [CCS-C-N]. B53 was the training camp of the Special Operations Augmentation. As all SOG assets passed through his camp, he saw everything that was being performed by them.

It was a heady experience for a young man. Ranger met, worked with and befriended some great people in SOG -- Bob Howard, Jon Caviani, Franklin Miller, Fred "Lightening" Wunderlich, Frank Norbury and Billy Waugh, among many others.

However, the fact that Ranger's PUC -- officially awarded to the unit in 2001 -- was initially denied, though he provided the Army Awards branch with all necessary documentation, is an indicator that the Army still does not prioritize Special Forces or COIN, despite the lip service. Or, it is a sign of extreme inefficiency.

The award was made 29 years after SOG closed shop. Why so long? The official answer is, "classified missions." (Good luck to those in Gitmo hoping for documentation.) If the Army really cared to recognize us, they could have sanitized the PUC, as they did with Howard's and Miller's Medal of Honor (MOH) citations.

Why was SOG classified anyway? We were no secret to the North Vietnamese Army who had watchers along the entire Ho Chi Minh Trail dedicated to spotting SOG teams. Answer: It was classified because the unit violated Laotian and Cambodian neutrality every time they entered these countries.

The NVA killed hundreds of SOG men: 10 teams disappeared, 14 others were seriously compromised, with every indigenous SOG agent inserted into the NVA compromised and captured. It is safe to say the NVA knew our mission. But because the unit was not a conventional entity, the Army did not and does not consider SOG's recognition a priority.


Dick
Meadows, arguably the most famous SOG NCO/officer, had difficulty being retained and promoted. Only repeated intervention by General Westmoreland saved Meadows' career, allowing him to retire as a Lieutenant Colonel.

Imagine: Bull Simons and Charlie Beckwith retired only as 0-6's. SF MOH winners Howard and Donlon both retired as 0-6's in an Army that rewards West point football players 0-6 if they are still breathing after 20 years service.


Yes, Singlaub and Healy made General Officer, but that was only on the conventional airborne side of the house. The Reduction in Forces (RIF's) following the Vietnam war were heavy with Special Forces officers.
There was no career protection for Special Forces officers in the Vietnam era.

Ranger is fortunate to have a Vietnam vet congressman who takes a sincere interest in veterans issues, and whose vet rep assisted him in getting his PUC individually authorized.
This hoop-jumping with congressional support is par for the course.

It is the same formula Ranger experienced in receiving his Department of Veterans Affairs Service Connection compensation and his Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC).


Note to young soldiers:
Expect the yellow ribbons to stop shortly after your service viability expires.

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

congratulations jim. you earned it. they respected your dogged ability to keep up the fight so much they asked you to fight for it twice.

the PUC is a rare thing. something to be proud of. more than an individual decoration it shows that the entire unit was behaving with courage and skill.

good on ya and a big ooo-rah.

Friday, February 20, 2009 at 9:10:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Ghost Dansing said...

interesting post Ranger.... here's a song you know glad you got your PUC.

Im a soldier of freedom in the army of man
We are the chosen, were the partisan
The cause it is noble and the cause it is just
We are ready to pay with our lives if we must

Gonna ride across the river deep and wide
Ride across the river to the other side

Im a soldier of fortune, Im a dog of war
And we dont give a damn who the killing is for
Its the same old story with a different name
Death or glory, its the killing game

Gonna ride across the river deep and wide
Ride across the river to the other side

Nothing gonna stop them as the day follows the night
Right becomes wrong, the left becomes the right
And they sing as they march with their flags unfurled
Today in the mountains, tomorrow the world

Gonna ride across the river deep and wide
Ride across the river to the other side

Friday, February 20, 2009 at 9:36:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High time!!!

I would be interested sometime in your critique of any of the book on by Nicholson, Schultz, Conboy, or Plaster.

Friday, February 20, 2009 at 10:55:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

MB,Ghost and Mike ,
Thanks.
Mike,
I know Plasters stories and they are solid but a bit overdone sometimes. For example I find it hard to believe that a SOG team killed an NVA while he was coming /masturbating. It's so hard getting multiple orgasms . So I doubt the story , therefore I doubt other little points.

This Sopg PUC clearly indicates that bravery/devotion to duty and general ass kicking ability doesn't mean squat if it's expended for an unwinnable war.Sorry but my belief is that the INCREDIBLE bravery of these soldiers was wasted and i mourn their unnecessary deaths.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 10:39:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Mike,
Afterthought on Plaster.
I might be wrong BUT I believe he wrote up both Miller and Howard for their MOH's.I refuse to draw any conclusions.

Anyway since I was at B53 this was the conjunction point of all the training so I had a fine view of the entire program to include the Earthangels. I'm seriously considering writing these memories.
jim

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 10:43:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jim, glad they finally got their stuff together on this one, even if it took Herculean arm twisting.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 1:31:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No commment other than Thanks RAW
jo6pac

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 8:32:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RAW - I'll be first in line to buy your memoirs.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 8:49:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Mike,It won't be a memoir -it'll be a requim for a long dead Army.
jim

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 1:24:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you, Ranger.

So far as the rest of it is concerned, well, what do you expect from an organization that's all about hammering the square pegs down hard enough that they'll fit into the round holes? The green machine is what it is.

A lot of us lived with that for our entire careers, but I, and most of my old friends don't regret it one bit. You only get one chance to do it and you're better off if you do it on your terms. A neighbor of mine, a retired MI officer, tells me he had the chance to go into clan ops, but chose instead to go mainstream because of better career possibilities. He always tells me how he COULD have done what I did, whereas I never tell him I could have done what he did. The difference between us is that I don't give a shit about convincing him that I could have done what he did, but he obviously cares about convincing me that he could have done what I did.

I don't think my neighbor is any happier than I am. The really great thing about the military is that all of our shit is done when we're very young—even if we go on to retire—which means we have a whole 'nother life to lead afterwards. If we don't grow in those post-military years, shame on us.

I try not to dwell too much on the military years. I've already been retired for more years than I spent on active duty. Life is a long road, hard traveled, and my time in the Army is just part of it. I enjoyed the Army time immensely, specifically because I got the opportunity to do it my way and I always understood the nature of the beast. I have no regrets and I hope you don't either.

You had a terrific career, Ranger, and you're doing important things now. What's not to like about that? Whether you, me or a lot of other guys maybe didn't get as much rank or recognition as we would have liked is immaterial. We beat the system and we had a good time. Fuck them.

Sunday, February 22, 2009 at 4:40:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Publius,
I accept all your points gladly ,but you missed a real biggy-we're not in wheelchairs and we didn't buy the farm.
I still hope to meet you someday.
jim

Monday, February 23, 2009 at 10:51:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Jim,

I served under Ken Bowra who was my Ranger Company CO and retired a few years back as a General after a long career in SOF I recongnized quite a few of the names you shared here and I have another Jeff Van Beltz. Another dear friend and mentor who is still yelling at privates in the Army Reserves. I sure hope he gets the award too.
God Bless you my friend.

William Hazen

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 5:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"....we're not in wheelchairs and we didn't buy the farm."

Amen, brother. I've often thought about that, particularly since I finally accepted the reality that Vietnam was not a cause worth dying for.

We will meet.

Friday, February 27, 2009 at 3:46:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Terrible said...

Congrats Ranger! I'm not suprised by the fight to recieve the award you so obviously deserve. Seems like that's a common theme of Vietnam vets and especially the SF types.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 11:06:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

terrible,
Thanks.But to add insult to injury the DA Awards Br. DID NOT forward an official certificate and so I'm foghting that bullshit now.
jim

Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 11:19:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home