RANGER AGAINST WAR: Bizarro Thursday <

Thursday, May 07, 2009

Bizarro Thursday

Lately it occurs to me:
What a long, strange trip it's been

--Truckin'
, The Grateful Dead

Odd how much it hurts when a friend moves away,
and leaves only silence

--Pam Brown

________________

Lisa has just returned from a new yoga class, in the lineage of what could be called the "painful yoga" style, as it seemed full of yoga show offs ("Hey, let's do Eagle!") seeking the most painful and tortuous 1 1/2 hour experience they could create.

While admiring the complementary colors of the chap with the green hair next to me on his purple mat, the instructor appeared to push me into a more correct "Warrior". Though appreciative of his effort, the heavy cigarette odor on his person was almost too much to bear. (This explained his frequent recourse to breathing and drinking while the others were left in their pretzel positions.) Isn't yoga about health?


Before that, Ranger had dropped by for his semi-daily editorial meeting when my dear friend Dorian dropped in for quick "goodbye" en route to Miami for his medical internship. He is specializing in rehabilitating Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) cases.


"He has a bright future ahead of him in TBI work," I said. Immediately thereafter that seemed a very odd thing to say.


In a better world, TBI would not be a burgeoning career track.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous sheerahkahn said...

"He has a bright future ahead of him in TBI work," I said. Immediately thereafter that seemed a very odd thing to say.
In a better world, TBI would not be a burgeoning career track."

I find those moments to be the oddest, saddest, and yet most illuminating aspect of being human.
It reminds me that I can still hope for better things...which is a good thing.

Friday, May 8, 2009 at 1:17:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger FDChief said...

TBI = growth industry.

Sad.

I have to say that you have found an interesting little group of yogis. Here in the Big Green Leafy our practitioners of the ancient art tend to be willowy vegan sylphs and sinewy hippie guys staying limber for their bike commute. Little in the way of smokes or exotic hair; lots of hemp clothing and flippy long hair (for men and women).

My morning sun salutation is great entertainment for the littlies, who alternately imitate my poses or attempt to crawl under the "Downward Dog Bridge". Little Miss is famous for her "Walking the Dog", which is where you arch up into DD and then tiptoe around with your bottom stuck up in the air.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 3:51:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Chief,

Yes, I had the idea I'd be doing mostly mat stuff, something contemplative, like Raja yoga. I'm not into torture. Nope, this was not the class for me.

Glad you do the sun salutation which is a wonderful way to greet the day. If people wouldn't laugh, they say crawling, as in Miss's walking the dog, is an excellent body rejuvenative.

Our bipedal form of locomotion isn't the healthiest for our spine, is it?

Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 11:55:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home