RANGER AGAINST WAR: The Seven Pillars of Resistance <

Friday, May 01, 2009

The Seven Pillars of Resistance



I tried to stand up and fly straight,
but it wasn't easy with that sumbitch

Reagan in the White House.

I dunno. They say he's a decent man,

so maybe his advisors are confused

--Raising Arizona
(1987)

Here comes a candle to light you to bed
Here comes a chopper to chop off your head
Chip chop chip chop - the last man's dead
--Oranges and Lemons
, Nursery rhyme

______________

Ranger Question of the Day:

How can we tell when we have won their hearts and minds?
Is it when they have become pimps and whores
?
________________

Ranger recently found among some old items of issue dating back to his earliest service days a trifold wallet card from 1966, the cover of which is replicated above: "A Code of Conduct for the Serviceman: Seven Pillars of Resistance."

A few excerpts are notable:


[1] "I am a member of the Armed Forces of the United States of America, to which I have sworn true faith and allegiance. Among the missions of the Armed Forces is the maintenance of peace, and the preservation of the policies, values and standards of the United States. This is my mission, as well as the mission of all Americans.

Peace -- right. The U.S. has, since WW II, been continually involved in conflicts neither fully recognized nor declared as war.


[4] Were the USA and the nations in whose temporary custody I happen to be actually at war, even though that conflict were neither fully recognized nor acknowledged as a war, my duty as an American fighting man would be quite clear. However, since an actual state of either congressionally declared,
or presidentially proclaimed war does not today exist, my behavior while in detention, and my release there from, must be in accordance with accepted, peacetime, international standards."

A previous post quoted a U.S. Army manual as dismissing the adversary du jour for following the "typical Communist legalistic fashion." Yet this statement, which is nothing more than legalistic tap dancing, even misrepresents the power of the president.

The Constitution does not accord the president the power to declare war.
That power is vested in Congress (Article I, sec. 8). Meantime, the U.S. sits astride a Phony War on Terror (PWOT ©) dubious at all levels and undeclared as such.

Since this 1966 Code of Conduct which was official policy for soldier's consumption promulgated the falsehood that the President could proclaim war, it is not hard to see why for many it is
a fallacy we still accept as fact.
A government document told them it was so!

[5] Since the known detention methods of those in ideological opposition to the US almost invariably involve solitary confinement, the most probable command or control I shall be called on to exercise will be that over myself. This control I shall never yield.

Let us not forget that solitary confinement was a U.S. tool in the treatment of its current captives, AKA
illegal enemy combatants or detainees in the PW(not)OT.

The seventh pillar would offend any self-respecting atheist, for it declares:
"The additional faith I have in a Supreme Being, and in the certainty of a fuller life beyond this, endow me with a strength which cannot be diminished by threat, blandishment or punishment." Then again, we don't have any godless fighting men, do we?

Ranger thought you might enjoy this quaint march down history row.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

also strange that they would base their structure on the behavioral code that is featured in the koran.

'cept the sunni muslims only have five pillars.

must be 'cause my god's bigger.

usa! usa! usa!

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 10:22:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous sheerahkahn said...

Hmm, well, I always thought a good pillar to adhere too was/is Decartes' basis for his meditations, but then again...thats just me.

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 2:41:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

MB

The Seven Pillars of Wisdom popped into mind when I found this old form.

Sheer.,

I stay away from the French stuff as it's too rich for my blood.

jim

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 5:10:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Publius said...

Ranger, this is some seriously screwed up shit. Where'd you get it? I was actually in Vietnam in those days and I never saw anything like this. Or maybe I did, and just threw it away like I threw everything else away that I got from MACV.

My advice: Do not ever trust the military in any matter that pertains to the Constitution or to fundamental American values. They make a big deal about how when you take the oath, you're a constitutional officer, and thus not bound to follow orders from anyone up to and including the prez if they conflict with your conscience.

And then they work on you for your entire career to ensure that you'll always follow orders from any asshole with an eagle or a star, no matter whether the initial order emanated from a civilian criminal and no matter how repugnant to the conscience.

You were never enlisted, Ranger. Although I always ignored most of their shit and moved up the NCO ladder, the day I took the oath was my liberation day. I knew that they could no longer fuck with me for minor offenses (such as not going to classes about shit like you're discussing here) or take away my rank and status, and that the worst they could do was throw me out.

All of the shit like you're quoting here is really aimed at junior enlisted people. It is in fact brain washing, done to ensure that the majority of the military understands the party line. No officer or senior NCO should pay any attention to this kind of shit.

The Army should pay more attention to perfecting the art of war and forget about the civics lessons, especially when it's clear that even four-star generals do not know their proper place in the scheme of things.

Friday, May 1, 2009 at 7:43:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Publius,
I found this with items that were stored at my parents home since 1977. This included the Communist Techniques Manual discussed in a previous post. Both were issued at Ft Bragg.
As an intell type you should find the cover sheet of the manual very informative- it's a JFKSWC /MI collaberation.
Maybe I should take this card to Antiques Roadshow for a value estimate!
I never served on active duty as an enlisted but i was an obligated ER and was discharged from the Reserves as a CPL on the day i was commisioned. But i guess that doesn't count.
jim

Saturday, May 2, 2009 at 9:29:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This appears to have been locally produced. Pity they didn't actually read the Constitution. I was enlisted in 1966, and never saw anything like it. Got commissioned in 1967 and ended up commanding a BCT company at Fort Bliss, where I likewise never saw anything like it. Must have been in the days before all training and doctrine were centralized.

Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 9:27:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home