RANGER AGAINST WAR: VA Clinic Blues <

Monday, January 25, 2010

VA Clinic Blues


Don’t bother me with facts, Son.
I’ve already made up my mind
--Foghorn Leghorn
__________________

Ranger actually tires of complaining about the treatment at the Department of Veterans Affairs Outpatient Clinics, but they say venting is healthy.

22Jan10 my appointment was to see the nurse for test results. Not treatment -- simply to be given the results of a previous test. Sign in was 10:40 for an 11:00 appointment. At 12:20, Ranger was still sitting on his thumbs.


The story was, the nurse was out-tasked, and nobody else bothered to take care of me or even notify me of what was happening, even though my check-in was duly noted on the computer check-in log.


This sort of incompetence and negligence is remarkable. Doubly so since no one would have done squat until and unless Ranger unleashed his mouth.


What is the problem? Is it just me?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous barcalounger said...

Great post. I actually had to get up and walk away from my computer after reading it, I was so hopping mad. This is no way to treat veterans, especially combat veterans. I'm guessing compassion and common decency aren't part of the job requirements for working at the VA. This is disgraceful and shameful, there's no other way to describe it.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 6:52:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Ranger Hazen said...

Well,

After 20 years I am dealing with the VA and so far so good though I am more than likely whistling in the dark.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 7:25:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger The Minstrel Boy said...

doctors and nurses have many reasons for signing on to the VA.

it can be something as benign as a young doc just starting out who wants to see a lot of cases and go all the way through to the folks who are working at the VA because they have fucked up so often and so badly that they cannot afford malpractice insurance anymore.

the few times i've dealt with the VA i've seen well meaning folks who seriously try to do their very best with criminally limited resources.

the best fix that i can think of for it is to make anybody with a flag officer's rank, all members of congress, and all federal employees use the system for their health care.

that shit would fixed last week.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010 at 7:46:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

barca/MB/Ranger H,
The disconnect in this case was the all mighty computer. I signed in and after that nobodies mind was engaged.
Some thinking was req'd and nobody stepped up to the plate. Nor did they even care to do so.
A recent change we have at Tall VAOPC is that all msg's to my Dr. must be entered into the computer , thereby requiring standing in line and getting a clerk to type the entry. This is a bottle neck, the old system was to fill in a form and leave it for the DR.
The entry clerks are 50% surly, some nice, some crummy. This is at the GS 3/5 level.
I did not complain to the head shed in this case b/c i'm actually tired of pissing up a rope.
I could avoid this by going to a private Dr. and using my tricare ,BUT i like to keep touch with the veteran experience.
It's so uplifting .
jim

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 at 9:31:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home