RANGER AGAINST WAR: Memorial Day <

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Memorial Day

Full of fear, ever clear.
I'll be here, fighting forever.

Curious, venomous,

You'll find me climbing to heaven

Never mind, turn back time.

You'll be fine - I will get left behind

--Unknown Soldier
, Breaking Benjamin
______________

Here is a photo of Ranger's Training Unit from SFOC 3-70, JFK Special Warfare Center, Ft. Bragg. In those days, one was either coming from or going to Vietnam, and our group was no different.

Front center, kneeling: Major Suomuly (Inf.)

Front row, left to right:

Unknown (psyops?); 2LT Rob Valentine (Inf.); 2LT James (Jay) Goolsby (Inf.); 2 LT Frank F. Pruitt; 2 LT Larry Smith; 1 LT James M. Hruska (Inf.); Maj. Joe Vittoria (UK).

Rear, left to right:
2LT Robert G. Hepler (Inf.); Cmdr. Bill Robinson, USN SEAL team; 2 LT P. E. Harkness (Inf.); 2 LT Tommy L. Scott (Inf.); 1 LT Bob Arheit (12th SF Group, Inf.).

Robinson, Suomuly and Vittoria were seasoned, combat-experienced officers attending the course as required by their specific branches. All the 2 LT's were recently commissioned through OCS, except Valentine and Hruska.

Suomuly went to 10th SF Group. Valentine to 8th Group, enroute to 46th SF Company (Thailand). He was a friend, and died in 1998.


Arheit returned to his reserve assignment in Ohio. Vittoria served as allied liaison officer at Ft. Bragg. Pruitt went to 5th Group as a Signal Officer. Robinson returned to the Atlantic SEAL team as Commander.


The rest of us were assigned 5th SF Group, to the best of my knowledge. Goolsby was KIA several months later, while serving with MACVSOG.


This photo proves my memory that all were exceptional men exuding self-confidence and capability. This phot was taken just before we jumped into the "Gobbler Woods" exercise, which culminated our training.


The equipment hanging from our bodies is not the sum total that we carried into the exercise. Ranger wonders why we even carried sleeping bags since we never seemed to use them. One of the many old Special Forces mottos was, "Travel light -- freeze at night." We did both, and within weeks most of us were in 100+ degree environs.


Presented as a little slice in a day in the life of a few soldiers 39 years ago. Ranger was proud to train and serve with these men.


For those who no longer answer roll call, Ranger salutes your memory.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

I never jumped out of a plane, but I felt like jumping out of those H-34s a coupla times just to get it over with instead of waiting for the crash.

I am always amazed by the amount of gear paratroopers have to take with them. I understand it, but it's still an awful lot.

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 1:41:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a salute to you too, Ranger...and to all the regular contributors to this great blog!

GSJ

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 8:03:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger FDChief said...

"We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing..."

Here's a glass raised to all those who've bicycled out their riser twists. Hoch, hoch!

J

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 6:44:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Chief,

Since i was JM qualified i always jumped the PAE bag- ergo i always had a weak exit since the bag/equipment was so heavy and bulky. Yeah, i was always twisted up to my connector link.

jim

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 1:27:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger FDChief said...

Roger that. Being the medic (i.e. without a rifle) I usually ended up with the 1980's equivalent, the WECI (wee-see) bag full of platoon equipment, extra batteries, mortar rounds, that stuff. Sunovbitch fit tight between the top of my boots and the bottom of my reserve. So "shuffle" to the door was all I was capable of, and a weak exit was pretty much a given.

Once, for a laugh, I had the riggers at Green Ramp weight me fully rigged. My body weight at the time was about 205 and my total weight, bag and baggage was over 500 pounds.

I didn't laugh as much afterwards.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:29:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

FDChief,

I used to carry (2)1919 A6's and (2) PRC25's, + other stuff.

Per your 500 lbs., I was never weighed, but it took 2 of us to get it into the door. Usually when I jumped PAE, I was the man in the door.

I'm still ambivalent about putting all the eggs in one basket, but if they were split up, they'd still be useless.

When I jumpmastered as non-static, I would always choose my assembly points in low land, which worked perfectly. Most assembly points were on high ground, but General Gavin gave me this tip in one of his books. . . .and everybody thinks I'm just another pretty face.

jim

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 5:30:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

[ed. NOTE:

Robert Arheit's son, Bob, contacted us to tell us his father is well, and would love to connect with any of his fellows from the class who might have photos to share. You may contact him here @ RAW and we'll pass the data along, --Lisa]


Hi Jim! I got you information from your blog post RANGERAGAINSTWAR. My Dad is in that Special Forces group photo at Ft. Bragg that you posted on your blog and I was wondering if there are more photos of this group in training with my Dad in them?! My Dad in the photo is 1st Lt. Bob Arheit. (He retired from the reserves a Lieutenant Colonel some years ago) Thanks I would like to get him a few different 8 X 10 blow up photos with the group in color if possible!

Tuesday, February 26, 2013 at 11:43:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home